Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Last Day of Summer

Jeff had to work on Monday, Labor Day as it was the first day of the month. It was hot and steamy (and windy!) and on a lark, I took the guys to Troy Beach in Hudson. Its funny after so many years at Camp St. Croix, I have never really been to its neighboring public beach.

The beach is a diamond in the rough with lots of rocks and trees which translate to toys and shade. I swore I wouldn't admit this, but we stopped en route and bought a bucket of KFC chicken to go with the juice boxes, granola bars and fuzzy water I grabbed on the way out the door.

It was a great day; sitting on our towels, eating the "extra crispy", wind in our hair, waves slapping the beach. We arrived at 11:00am and stayed until 5:00--an hour before the beach closed for the year. We spent the hours sitting up to our necks in the water getting smacked in the face by waves, making sandcastles, burying each other in the sand. Pools are great, but I am telling you, beaches are just better.

That night, the weather changed and I swear, fall arrived in a matter of hours. How blessed I was to spend the last day of summer in my favorite river with my favorite people? Quite.






No comments: