Sunday, April 5, 2009

Spring Break '09

Far from the rowdy spring breaks of the tropics, the NeskeMoen family just returned from a 54 hour spring frolic to northern Minnesota ...and back.

To be sure, we ran around in our swimsuits for the majority of the time, but our bananas were lacking whip cream, our bodies were as off-white as bread dough, and our drinking was limited to a couple plastic glasses of red wine in a hotel room. But was it fun? Absolutely!

We drove up to visit Great Gramma Dora in her new apartment in Fergus Falls. The ride (which I remember as ruthlessly long as a child) was fun-- peppered with new music, fun chats and lots of predator bird sightings (I am sure I spotted a kestrel-how cool!) As we drove further and further north, the ground went from brown and muddy to slightly snow covered to a full 18 inches of the white stuff.

Gramma's place is GREAT. Sunny, spacious and brimming with happy and kind faces. I am glad that she is living in such a nice place. She took us out for dinner at Bello Cucina in downtown Fergus and we had an amazing meal out (for possibly the first time ever in Fergus Falls, for me).

In the morning, the kids had a dubiously orchestrated piano bar at the apartment in the dining room after lunch. They had to play piano on a key board for a fourty residents and the whole thing was a little off, but the kids took it in stride and the residents seemed happy enough.

We drove back to Brooklyn Park and stayed at a hotel with a wakka wakka water park. I am usually Debbie Downer on these types of glitzy synthetic family fun, but Jeff and I had a BLAST. The slides were a breath short of terrifying, the layout seemed to absorb the copious number of insanely fat Americans there to enjoy and all of our kids had a great time.


Of note, the original chicken baby, Sawyer, was the first to jump into the grown up water slide (pitch back, corkscrew turns, dramatic drops, a rapids-like pool at bottom). He came out pumping his fists in the air and practically raced me up the steps for round two. Whaa? Who knew?

Our only regret was that it was nearly impossible for Jeff and I to go sliding together. Lars and Haakon were not willing to monster slide, so someone had to stay behind with the little guys while the other went sliding. Maybe we need to go back sans kids for some one's 40th Birthday? Pass the whip cream!

No comments: