Molly was over on Tuesday and at the end of the day we decided to play in the HR Game Room. Sick of coloring, Sawyer decided to start shooting a little pool. He and Haakon play games with us, mostly with kid rules (i.e. Haakon uses his hands and Sawyer usually goes twice or more per turn no matter what he shoots) I figure it's good practice for them and I am not very interested in those types of details anyhow.
As he was farting around, two men came into the room. They were obviously there to play pool and could not mask their dismay at finding a 6-year old hogging the table. Being good sports, though, they asked Sawyer if they could play him for the table. In a surprise move, Sawyer said yes. And agreed to break.
Now, Sawyer has an unorthodox shot. He uses his shoulder to steady the stick, so I guess he shoots overhand. We all watched as Sawyer stepped up to break... Weak break with a scratch. But his face! So serious, a little coy. He focused on the table and didn't acknowledge us very much. The man got to break again and thankfully broke up the town.
Long story short, Sawyer really held his own. He played by the rules and took only one turn unless he sunk something. And for the better part of the game he was ahead. Molly and Jeff will confirm that the man was playing to win--he just wasn't performing well. And Sawyer was pretty solid.
It came down to the 8 ball and the dude won the table. But Sawyer was very proud, and we were all very proud of him! As we left the room, he said, "did you see that one I sunk in the side??" like Mister Cool. Two years ago I would never have guessed that Sawyer would hold firm and play. Hell, I was already packing up our stuff when I saw the guys coming down the hall. It was very cute. He has become very confident.
Molly called today and said she had a great time with the boys yesterday. Of note, she thought the "Pool Off" was a scream. Agreed.
Wednesday, April 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment