Sunday, August 26, 2007

Revised State Fair ~ 2007




I was dreading this year's trip to the State Fair, which really puzzled me. It's been a tradition and an annual highlight for years. The milk run is tough, but a full 2 miles shorter than when I started this annual "first Sunday" visit to the great Minnesota get-together. I couldn't bear the thought of running it and tried (again) to twist my ankle all week long to no avail. How would we get there? Could we coordinate a schedule with Mary and Dave? Would we be able to deal with three mobile kids? What was the point? Aren't the crowds unbearable?

Mais non! We decided to tackle the tradition head on and make some improvements. Mary and Dave met up at our house and we took the unauthorized Cleveland Ave. approach to the fair. Avoiding the standstill Snelling Ave. parking lines eliminated the stress I have felt in the past, we arrived early and Dave got a head start with the kids. I had a great run (alone with iPod) and Jeff did as well. The kids did tons of stuff with Dave (miniature horse competition, hog barn, sky ride, etc.) and we all met after the race at a designated time rather than relying on past year's model of haphazard coordination. Smiles all around.

Sherry and Tom (long-time participants) have grandchildren to see the fair with now, so they were quick to cancel the traditional greasy breakfast that has been a foible in our morning plan for years. Made sense to me. Even if it took 6 years.

So we had doughnuts, took the BW photo, hit ye olde mill, horticulture building, sky tower, machinery hill. We nibbled walleye fingers, cotton candy and the annual freebie malt and sucked down several of the newly "strong" beers. We ended with a swing through the midway (I have never even walked there before) and a redo of the heritage square. People, as always, were friendly and funny. Watching the parade of humans was wonderful. The crowds were thriving--but it's easy to deal with people at play.
It was GREAT. We made it 8 hours with three happy (tho admittedly tired) kids.

I admit would like a day at the fair with Jeff and/or just adults. It's a lot of compromising with a 2, 4 and almost 7 year old. From snacks to destination, it was all a give and take. I really like the fine arts building and there are so many green exhibits that I am dying to see. These destinations didn't seem to appeal to the jr set. I suppose that's life, tho, right?
I wouldn't change a thing about this day, it was awesome.
.....but I wouldn't mind a hundred spare bucks and one more day at the fair.




No comments: